Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Scenic byway benefits
Great River Road
Although the Scenic Byways program is administered through WisDOT, candidate byways must be locally nominated and supported. This grass-roots approach ensures a strong local commitment to the promotion and long-term preservation of a highway corridor that is officially designated as a scenic byway. Benefits of scenic byway designation can include:
- supports tourism and economic development in communities along a designated byway.
- unique signs, markers, brochures and ongoing promotional efforts can enhance a community’s “marketability.”
- state scenic byways can potentially be designated a National Scenic Byway or All-American Road. Such byways are marketed to national and international travelers, bringing additional recognition and economic benefits to area communities. Both state or nationally-designated scenic byways are eligible to compete for federal discretionary scenic byway funds.
- promotes partnerships between local governments, businesses, civic groups and community leaders.
- strengthens civic pride and makes communities an even more attractive place to live and work.
- serves to identify an area’s scenic, historical and recreational treasures for the enjoyment of future generations.
Questions about the content of this page:
Jane Carrola, email@example.com
Last modified: May 23, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.