Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Rest areas and waysides - 'Open for business'
Located on the interstate highway system and other major four-lane highways and are open all year round. Wisconsin has 30 rest areas, with amenities such as:
- Handicap accessibility
- Ample car and truck parking
- Clean restroom facilities
- Drinking water
- Picnic areas
- Weather monitors at most locations
- Places to walk your pet
- Snacks, soft drinks or newspapers from the vending services at most locations
- Road maps, literature and other traveler information
- Historical facts and events are commemorated on Wisconsin Historical Marker plaques
- Recycling areas
Generally located on two-lane highways, usually open seasonally from late May to mid-September, more rustic in nature, located in scenic locations and feature:
- Toilet facilities
- Drinking water
- Picnic areas on a smaller scale
- Some have recycling areas
Rest areas and waysides operations
Please use the trash containers and recycling bins and help keep Wisconsin's rest areas and waysides clean.
A team of people work cooperatively behind the scenes to keep our rest areas and waysides clean, safe and in good working order.
- Local Community Rehabilitation Programs (CRP) - Provide the day-to-day maintenance at each rest area and some waysides. The CRP's provide employment for nearly 400 people with disabilities who might otherwise have limited employment opportunities.
- Rehabilitation For Wisconsin (RFW) - A private non-profit organization, is responsible for direction of the CRP's at each rest area.
- Counties - Are responsible for snow plowing at rest areas and waysides and the maintenance of some waysides.
- WisDOT's Bureau of Highway Maintenance - Is responsible for overseeing the state-wide rest area and wayside operation.
Send us your comments on our rest areas and/or waysides
- Which rest area and/or wayside you visited
- Date and time you were there
- What you liked, didn't like
- Offer suggestions for improvements
Questions/comments about a specific rest area, or for lost items, contact
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
Robert Spoerl, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: July 26, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.