Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 26 Corridor Expansion Project
Janesville to Watertown, in Dodge, Jefferson and Rock counties
48 miles of WIS 26, between I-90 (Janesville) and WIS 60 (north of Watertown), in Dodge, Jefferson, and Rock counties.
- WIS 26 is an important route connecting communities and major highways in Rock, Jefferson and Dodge counties.
- It is designated as a long-truck route in the National Highway System (NHS) and as a connector route in the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) State Highway Plan 2020. Under the plan, connector routes are given higher priority funding since they connect major regions and economic centers.
- About half of the expansion will be constructed alongside the existing corridor. The other half, mainly the bypasses, will be constructed on new location. Bypasses will be constructed around Milton, Jefferson and Watertown with interchanges providing easy access to the cities.
- The overall cost to purchase real estate, design, and construct the roadway represent an estimated $464 million investment in Wisconsin's transportation system.
The studies for this project have been completed and the project segments are in various stages of construction:
- Segment 3 (Milton to Fort Atkinson) - Scheduled for construction 2012-2014
- Segment 8 (Watertown to
WIS 60 East) - Scheduled for construction 2013-2015
- Segment 1 (Janesville to Milton) - Completed in 2012
- Segment 2 (WIS 59 relocation at Milton) - Completed in 2009
- Segment 4 (Fort Atkinson bypass) - Completed in 2011
- Segment 5 (Jefferson bypass) - Completed in 2011
- Segment 6 (Jefferson to Johnson Creek) - Completed in 2011
- Segment 7 (Johnson Creek to Watertown) - Completed in 2012
Questions about the content of this page:
WisDOT Southwest Region Office-Madison, email@example.com
Last modified: August 23, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.