Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 26 Corridor Expansion Project - Environmental information
Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
An EIS is the decision document for a major highway project like WIS 26 Corridor. The EIS pulls together community and agency interests and recommends a future course of action.
An EIS is required by the National and Wisconsin Environmental Policy Acts for projects with potentially significant social, economic, natural resource and other impacts. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is the lead agency for the EIS which is prepared in accordance with their guidelines.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has completed an EIS on 48 miles of WIS 26 between I-90 at Janesville and the WIS 60 East intersection north of Watertown, in Dodge, Jefferson, and Rock counties.
Selection of the preferred alternatives for WIS 26 was made after evaluating engineering and environmental factors for the various corridor alternatives, and careful consideration of comments from various agencies, affected communities and property owners. The results of the study process are documented in the Final EIS (FEIS).
Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS)
The FEIS has been published and is available via the links below. Hard copies are also available for viewing at the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Southwest Region Transportation Office, 2101 Wright Street, Madison.
- Title sheet and table of contents
- Section 1 - Purpose and need
- Section 2 - Alternatives
- Section 3 - Affected environment
- Section 4 - Environmental consequences
- Section 5 - Wetland findings
- Section 6 - Floodplain findings
- Section 7 -
Comments and coordination
- Section 8 -
Groups receiving EIS
- Section 9 - List
- Section 10 - References
- Section 11 - Index
- Appendix A - Pre-draft correspondence
- Appendix B - Post-draft correspondence
- Appendix C - Agricultural impact statement
- Appendix D - Conceptual stage relocation plan
- Appendix E - Summary of noise analysis
- Appendix F - Memorandum of agreement
- Exhibit 1 - South segment Average Daily Traffic (ADT) counts
- Exhibit 2 - Central segment ADT counts
- Exhibit 3 - North segment ADT counts
- Exhibit 4 - Typical roadway sections
- Exhibit 5 - Detailed study alternatives, south segment
- Exhibit 6 - Detailed study alternatives, central segment
- Exhibit 7 - Detailed study alternatives, north segment
- Exhibit 8
Record of Decision (ROD)
The Record of Decision (ROD) is the final approval that is needed before an action analyzed in the EIS may be implemented. The ROD was signed by the FHWA on September 27, 2005.
WisDOT projects and construction sometimes change the natural environment around a project area. To minimize the effects of road construction and development WisDOT works to reduce change to the natural environment and leads several efforts to restore project areas.
Questions about the content of this page:
WisDOT Southwest Region Office-Madison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: August 23, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.