US 51 reconstruction scheduled to begin in Minocqua in April
March 13, 2013
Property owners, public invited to attend construction information meeting on March 20
The $4.6 million reconstruction of US 51 between Front Street and Old Hwy. 70 in Minocqua is scheduled to begin as early as Monday, April 1. The start date is dependent on favorable weather conditions.
The public is invited to attend a construction information meeting to learn more about the planned construction activities, the construction schedule, and how traffic will be managed. The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 20 from 5 to 6 p.m., at the Minocqua Town Hall, 415 Menominee Street, Minocqua. A brief presentation is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at (715) 421-8380 at least three working days prior to the meeting.
The prime contractor for the reconstruction project is Pitlik & Wick, Inc. of Eagle River. Crews will:
- Replace the current five-lane cross-section with new asphalt pavement and curb and gutter.
- Enhance pedestrian and bicycle accommodations via a wider outside travel lane for on-street bike users as well as a wider sidewalk. The enhanced accommodations include areas along Lake Minocqua, where pedestrians can rest and enjoy the view.
- Install a HAWK (High-Intensity Activated crossWalK) crosswalk just south of Rogers Drive. The HAWK crosswalk is a pedestrian hybrid beacon overhead signal activated by the pedestrian to stop traffic for a timed duration.
- Install new street lighting, which will provide continuous lighting along the corridor.
- Replace storm, sanitary and water lines. This effort will also improve the storm water quality discharging into the lake.
For the majority of construction, at least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. Motorists may encounter additional lane reductions and flagging operations. To minimize impacts during the tourist season, there will be no constuction activities on the roadway during the months of July and August.
The first stage of construction will occur from April 1 to June 28 (from the water tower to just south of Island Cove Drive). The second stage of construction will occur from September 3 to late November (from south of Island Cove Drive to just north of the intersection with Old Hwy. 70). The project is scheduled for completion in November 2013.
The project will be paid for with a combination of federal, state, and local transportation funds.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com