Four lane US 10 opening between Marshfield and Stevens Point today
August 23, 2012
Crews are preparing the new alignment of US 10 between Marshfield and Stevens Point to open to traffic today (August 23). All work should be completed before the end of the day.
After the new alignment opens crews will work to reroute WIS 13, converting old US 10 to Wood County P, removing lane crossovers used during construction, and signing the remaining highway name changes.
Highway name changes
After US 10 between White Oak Road and WIS 34 south (town of Eau Pleine) opens the following highway name changes will occur. All of the signing changes are scheduled for completion by the end of the day Friday, August 24:
- WIS 13 – between Wisconsin Rapids and Marshfield – will be rerouted onto WIS 34 and new US 10.
- Current WIS 13/73 – between WIS 80 (Pittsville) and WIS 34 (Wisconsin Rapids) – will become WIS 73.
- Current WIS 13/73/80 – between WIS 73 west (town of Wood) and WIS 80 (Pittsville) – will become WIS 73/80.
- Current WIS 13/80 – between US 10 west (town of Richfield) and WIS 73 west (town of Wood) – will become WIS 80.
- Current US 10 between existing WIS 186 (village of Auburndale) and WIS 34 south (town of Carson) – will become Wood/Portage County P.
- Current WIS 186 in the village of Auburndale – between new US 10 and current US 10 – will become Wood County P.
- Current US 10 in the town of Auburndale – between Rocky Inn Road and the western limits of the village of Auburndale – will become Old Highway 10.
- Current US 10 in the village of Auburndale – from the western village limits to WIS 186 – will become Main Street.
- Current Wood County A – between new US 10 and current US 10 – will become WIS 13.
WIS 80 detour still in place until late October
- The intersection of WIS 80 at US 10 remains closed until crews complete construction of the
roundabout in October. WIS 80 traffic is detoured via WIS 73, WIS 186 and US 10.
- Motorists traveling south on US 10 will be able to access US 10 west. However, they will not be able to travel south to WIS 80 and will have to follow the detour.
- Motorists traveling north on WIS 80 will not be able to access US 10 west or US 10 north and will need to follow the detour.
- Heritage Drive (old US 10) from Central Avenue to approximately .25 miles to the east remains closed. Access is maintained for adjacent property owners except for brief periods of storm sewer, grading or concrete work.
US 10 is part of an east/west principal arterial route serving central Wisconsin. It is a major commercial truck route connecting the Twin cities and the Fox Valley. The highway serves as an important regional, state, and national link for business, industry, and agriculture. The US 10 corridor project included the expansion of 31 miles of US 10 between Marshfield and I-39 (north of Stevens Point). The new four-lane, 65 mph highway bypasses the communities of Auburndale, Blenker, Milladore, Junction City, and downtown Stevens Point.
Managed access on US 10 will increase safety and provide improved traffic flow. Interchanges were constructed at Wood County A, WIS 34 south, WIS 34 north, I-39, and Casimir Road.
Additional information regarding the expansion of US 10 between Marshfield and Stevens Point, along with the scheduled highway changes, is available on the US 10 expansion project Web site.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, firstname.lastname@example.org