Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Title to lien holder – for vehicle owners
On July 30, 2012, Wisconsin joins other states in becoming a title to lien holder (lender) state. This means that any title with a lien (loan) listed on or after July 30, 2012 will be sent to the lien holder rather than the owner. For vehicle owners:
- Wisconsin titles will be delivered to all lien holders: in-state, out-of-state, lending institutions, and/or individuals who are listed as a secured party (lien holder) on the Wisconsin title.
- If you already have your title (even if it lists a lien holder), nothing changes. You can keep it. Titles will only be issued to lien holders on or after July 30, 2012.
- If you own a vehicle with a lien, you will receive a Confirmation of Ownership (form T056) document that contains the same information as the Wisconsin title sent to the lien holder.
- You will receive the title when the lien is paid off.
- If you need your Wisconsin title for any reason (before you pay off the lien), you will need to contact your lien holder directly.
- Title is held securely by the lender
- Fraud prevention and consumer protection
- Movement toward a paperless environment
Records maintained by the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) are the official vehicle title records.
The DMV maintains title information in an electronic format. Additionally, the DMV considers any record maintained in an electronic format to be the original and controlling record.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466
Last modified: June 27, 2012
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.