Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Transfer a vehicle to an heir

An heir or heirs may transfer ownership of a vehicle when a decedent leaves solely-owned property not exceeding $50,000 in value. An heir may title the vehicle in his/her name as owner or may sign as heir to sell the vehicle. In both cases, form MV2300 is required as a supporting document. A copy of the death certificate is not required when deceased owner was a Wisconsin resident and death occurred in Wisconsin. A death certificate may be required for residents of other states.

If you want ownership in your name, submit:

  • Form MV2300
  • Certificate of Title
  • Form MV1
  • Transfer fee is $69.50 for each vehicle.

If the decedent's solely-owned property exceeds $50,000, the vehicle(s) must be transferred by submitting a copy of the personal representative papers, instead of the MV2300 form, along with the application. These papers are issued by the court identifying the individual(s) authorized to sign for the interest of the decedent. The personal representative will sign the title as seller and write "personal representative" after their name.

See also information for vehicle transfers to a surviving spouse or domestic partner.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service

For more information:

Last modified: March 15, 2012

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.