Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Title application/notice

Insurance company use only

Form MV2849 is for insurance company use only to title or brand a vehicle and/or transfer ownership of a vehicle from the insured (owner) to the insurer (insurance company). If the insured is surrendering the vehicle to the insurer, form MV2849 must be completed by the insurance company and submitted along with a properly reassigned title, including an odometer mileage statement and a title transfer fee.

If the insurer's intent is to notify the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) that a vehicle has been declared salvage or needs to be branded, Section A and B of form MV2849 should be completed in addition to the appropriate brand(s) and mailed to WisDOT. A new title will be issued to the owner with brands indicated on form MV2849. See form MV2849 for a complete definition of brands, applicable fees and mailing addresses.

Note: If the damage is 30-70% of the fair market value and the owner is keeping the vehicle, no brand is required and you do not need to mail the MV2849 to WisDOT.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466

Last modified: November 30, 2009

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.