Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates
Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates are available to anyone is interested in expressing their support for Wisconsin's veterans.
Vehicles that qualify:
- Motor homes (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates can feature regular numbers or a personalized message.
- A $15 issuance fee is required when non-personalized Wisconsin Salutes Veterans plates are issued. WisDOT will transfer funds to the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Trust Fund. This fee may be tax deductible for certain tax filers; consult your tax advisor.
- A $15 fee is required EACH year in addition to the regular annual registration fee for personalized plates.
- If the vehicle receiving Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates is already titled/registered in your name, complete the vehicle section on MV2954.
- If the vehicle is not titled in your name, complete the title application - form MV1 and form MV2954. Send them with all the required fees to the address on form MV2954.
- Plates may be transferred from an auto to a truck or vice versa upon payment of the full registration fee unless vehicle is converted from an auto to a truck or vice versa. The real registration must be changed to reflect the current plate type.
- For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
Local DMV customer service centers do not have Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates for immediate issue, but can process applications and the plates will be mailed. To apply by mail, send the following items:
- Completed Wisconsin Salutes Veterans Plate Application form, MV2954;
- Issuance fee, if requesting non-personalized plates;
- Personalized plate fee, if requesting personalized plates;
- Annual registration fee if you do not have plates or if your current plates expire within the next three months;
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust;
- Mail with
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
- Personalizing your Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates is optional.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
- Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
- After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.
Change from personalized to regular plates
If you later decide to re-register with standard license plates, return a copy of your Certificate of Registration with a request for standard plates. Include the regular registration fee if your plates will expire within the next 3 months.
Temporary plate required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Salutes Veterans plate order is processed. An agent may charge a $3 plate fee and/or may also charge a $5 service fee.
Release of information
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) uses the information on form MV2954 to issue Wisconsin Salutes Veterans license plates. Under open records laws, the department must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from mailing lists of 10 or more individuals, complete page 2 of form MV2954.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: July 14, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.