Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Collector special license plates

Collector special license plates

If you have one or more vehicles registered with Collector plates, you can obtain Collector Special (CLS) license plates for your other vehicles which you use for general transportation.

Vehicles that qualify:  

  • Autos
  • Trucks (registered at 8,000 pounds gross weight or less)
  • Farm trucks (registered at 12,000 pounds gross weight)
  • Motor homes (registered annually)

Collector Special plates:

  • Feature the same design as standard plates except they display the words "Vehicle Collector" at the bottom.
  • A issuance fee is required. Renewed annually at the regular annual registration fee for the vehicle type.
  • Subsequent vehicles registered with Collector Special plates will have your collector number plus a letter suffix.
  • Plates may transfer from an auto to a truck or vice versa upon payment of the full registration fee unless vehicle is converted from an auto to a truck or vice versa. The registration must be changed to reflect the current plate type.
  • Your first Collector Special plate will have the same number as your collector number.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

How to apply

Send the following items:

  1. If the vehicle you wish to register with Collector Special license plates is already titled/registered in your name, send:
    • A written request for Collector Special plates, including your regular Collector plate number or submit form MV1 with Section G "Collector Special (CLS)" completed.
    • A copy of your Certificate of Registration which includes the vehicle identification number.
    • Issuance fee.
    • Annual registration fee if not currently registered or if your current plates expire within the next three months.
  2. If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:
  3. Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust.
  4. Mail with payment to:

    Wisconsin Department of Transportation
    Special Plates Unit
    P.O. Box 7911
    Madison WI 53707-7911

Temporary plate required

To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Collector Special plate order is processed. An agent may charge additional service fees.

Change to regular plates

If you wish to re-register your vehicle with regular license plates at renewal time or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for regular regular plates and renewal fee. If you wish to re-register other than at renewal time, submit the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration.

Release of information

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) uses the information provided on the MV1 form to issue CLS license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from such business mailing lists, complete and return the Request to Withhold Name and Address form MV3592 or obtain one from any DMV service center.

Previous Back to special and personalized license plates

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106

Last modified: July 14, 2011

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.