Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Amateur radio station call letter plates

Amateur radio license plate

Amateur radio station call letter registration (AMA) allows for the amateur radio station call letters to be displayed on license plates in lieu of regular registration numbers.


Persons who hold a valid amateur radio station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) qualify for AMA registration. A copy of the station license must be submitted with your application.

Vehicles that qualify

  • automobiles
  • motor homes (annual registration only)
  • motor trucks
    • 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
    • 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck

Things you should know:

  • A $15 issuance fee is required when AMA plates are issued. Eligible persons may register as many vehicles with AMA plates as are owned or leased by the FCC license holder.
  • Registration fees vary. AMA plates are available for motor homes with an annual registration only.
  • Plates may be transferred from an auto to a truck or vice versa upon payment of the full registration fee unless the vehicle is converted from an auto to a truck or vice versa. The real registration must be changed to reflect the current plate type.
  • The applicant for the AMA plate must be an owner, co-owner or lessee of the vehicle.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

How to apply:

To register a vehicle already titled in your name with AMA plates, send:

  1. A copy of your FCC license.
  2. A written request for AMA plates or submit form MV1 including Section G.
  3. $15 issuance fee.
  4. A copy of your Certificate of Registration.
  5. Annual registration fee if you do not have plates or if your current plates expire within the next three months.
  6. Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust.
  7. Mail with payment to:

    Wisconsin Department of Transportation
    Special Plates Unit
    P.O. Box 7911
    Madison WI 53707-7911

Temporary plates required

To legally operate your vehicle you must display license plates within 2 business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply at a DMV service center or a temporary license plate agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your AMA plates are being processed. An agent may charge a $3 temporary plate fee and/or may also charge a $5 service charge.

Release of information

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) uses the information provided on the MV1 form to issue AMA license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from such business mailing lists, complete and return the Request to Withhold Name and Address form MV3592 or obtain one from any DMV service center.

Previous Back to Special and personalized license plates

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106

Last modified: July 13, 2011

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.