Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

How to reinstate a driver's license or driving privilege (Wisconsin residents)

Check your eligibility to reinstate your Wisconsin driving privilege. To use this on-line system, you will need to enter the following:

  • Whether or not you are currently a Wisconsin resident AND
  • Your Wisconsin driver license number or Wisconsin driver identification number, OR
  • Your Social Security number and date of birth, OR
  • Your name, sex, and date of birth.

File proof of insurance (SR22) form with us, if required. Check online to determine if you are required to file proof of insurance, for how long you are required to file and whether or not we already have acceptable insurance on file. Contact an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin for the insurance form. Motor carrier insurance may be furnished for commercial motor vehicle operation.

You do not need to file proof of insurance if your operating privilege was revoked for a first offense operating while intoxicated (OWI), for noncompliance with an alcohol assessment, interview or driver safety plan, or because you were arrested for OWI while involved in driver safety plan. If your operating privilege was suspended under the safety responsibility or damage judgment laws after April 9, 2001 you will also need to file proof of insurance (SR22 form) with the Department. Contact an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin for the insurance form. Motor carrier insurance may be furnished for commercial motor vehicle operation.

File proof of installation of an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) with us, if required. If you were ordered by the court to have an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installed, provide proof of installation for every vehicle titled or registered to you, unless specific vehicles were exempted by the court.  See Alcohol and chemical testing for more information about the IID installation process, costs, etc.

If you are obtaining your first Wisconsin driver license, your license has expired or you need a replacement license you will need to visit any DMV Service Center, except renewal-only offices and complete form MV3001 (Wisconsin Driver License application) and:

Note: DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Debit cards will be processed as credit. Plan to arrive at least 90 minutes before the center is scheduled to close.

You may be able to use our online system to reinstate your driving privileges. If you are eligible for online reinstatement, you will be required to pay the reinstatement fee via a credit and debit card and ACH (Automated Clearing House) from your checking or savings account. The system will inform if you can reinstate online or if you must visit a DMV Customer Service Center to complete the reinstatement process.

To reinstate by mail you must be eligible and have a Wisconsin driver license that is not expired in your possession. Mail your reinstatement fee payment (check or money order) payable to Registration Fee Trust to the address below. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, Wisconsin driver license number, social security number, and your current address:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Driver Information Section
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 301
P.O. Box 7983
Madison, WI 53707-7983

After the suspension or revocation period is over and you have paid your fees, you can confirm that your Wisconsin driving privilege is valid by calling (608) 264-7133 or checking your status online. You will need your Social Security number and date of birth to access this information.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2261

Last modified: November 17, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.