Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Transferring your military license to a Wisconsin commercial driver license (CDL)

If you have a military license issued by any military facility that allows you to operate a military commercial vehicle, there is the possibility that you can use it to obtain a Wisconsin commercial driver license (CDL). This process allows you to obtain a CDL by waiving the skills test due to your experience and training with these vehicles in the military. You must still pass the knowledge test. Download the Commercial driver license (CDL) practice test mobile app. You must be a Wisconsin resident to be eligible for this waiver. This waiver does not cover the Hazardous Materials or School Bus endorsements and is ONLY acceptable for one year after discharge or for active military and active duty, reserve or Wisconsin National Guard.

In order to receive credit for your military experience in commercial vehicles, you must present the following documents at your local Wisconsin DMV Service center. You can obtain the DMV forms online or at your local DMV Service Center.

  • Form MV3001 Wisconsin Driver License (DL) Application
  • Form MV3588 Military Service CDL Skills Test Waiver Application (please note that the Department can only accept the current online version of form MV3588) 
    • Complete Part 1 yourself
    • Part 2 will need to be completed by your Commanding or Training Officer
  • Present proof of current or previous military service
    • This can be your DD-214/NGB-22 military discharge papers or current military ID card
  • Form MV3230 Commercial Driver Certification: Tier of Operation
    • This form is required for all new CDL applicants. It allows you to certify to the Wisconsin DMV where you intend to operate commercially and if any medical exceptions apply to your current or planned type of commercial driving.
    • The type of certification you choose will determine whether you must provide a copy of your Federal Medical Examiner Certificate (Fed Med card) to the DMV.
    • Fed Med cards are required for most types of commercial operation and can be obtained by licensed medical providers throughout the state. The Fed Med card isnít required at the time that you apply for this CDL waiver if you are currently not driving commercially or looking for a job where a CDL is required.
  • Proof of identity, like your Wisconsin driver license

The fees for this process will vary depending on the applicant and the specific classes and endorsements for which you are applying. An 8 year CDL usually costs around $74, but the fees will be prorated if you have less time remaining on your current Wisconsin driver license. This fee may be higher if you apply for the Hazardous Materials or School Bus Endorsement at the same time.

Please contact the unit below with any questions on this waiver process:

Wisconsin DMV
Qualification and Issuance Section
PO Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707
Phone: 608-264-7049
Fax: 608-261-8201
Email: dre.dmv@dot.wi.gov

Last modified: January 30, 2015

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.