Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Application for a driver license

Note: Driver licenses and IDs are now mailed to your home. See Mailing Wisconsin driver licenses and ID cards ("central issuance") for more information.

Customer at a DMV service center
Customer at a DMV service center

It's necessary to meet the licensing requirements. Complete form MV3001 (Wisconsin Driver License application), including:

  • Your Social security number (SSN) - if you have one.
  • If you are under age 18, complete Section D of the application (applicant, school and sponsorship certifications). If you have completed driver education, you will need to show your driver education completion certificate in lieu of filling out the school certification portion of the application.
  • Answer the medical questions. For some medical conditions, you will be asked to have your doctor provide medical information.
  • Fill out Section E of the application if you are applying for a commercial driver license.

Note: Carefully read the instructions at the top of the application for information about which sections you need to complete for the type of license for which you are applying.

Note: Hospital birth certificates or baptismal certificates are not acceptable. Get a copy of your birth certificate at your Register of Deeds or city health office.

More More information on acceptable identification documents.

Pass the knowledge, vision, and driving skills tests:

  • New Wisconsin residents with an out-of-state driver's license (which is valid or expired less than 8 years) may be able to get a Wisconsin license without taking the knowledge or driving skills tests.
  • CDL license holders with a hazardous materials (H) endorsement must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test and may require fingerprinting.
  • CDL license holders with a school bus (S) endorsement must pass the school bus knowledge test, the pre-trip and a driving skills test.

If you apply for a Wisconsin driver license and have an OWI-type conviction in another state, you will need to provide proof that you have undergone an assessment and completed an alcohol program. This law applies even if you have met all the requirements in the state where you were convicted of OWI.

For further information about license examinations, identification documents and current fees, ask at your local DMV service center. DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. For online transactions, we accept most credit and debit cards and ACH (Automated Clearing House) from your checking or savings account.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2353

Last modified: November 17, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.