Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Acceptable documents for proof of name change

If you have legally changed your name, you will need to change your name with the Social Security Administration Office before coming to a DMV service center. When you come to a DMV service center to change your name on your driver license or identification card, you will be required to show proof of your name change.

The following are acceptable documents to show proof of your name change:

  • Marriage certificate (original, certified copy if original is not available)
  • Certified record of divorce
  • Certified court order
  • Valid unexpired U.S. Passport issued in your current name*

*Note to REAL ID driver license and ID card applicants:

  • If you have a valid, unexpired U.S. Passport in your current name, you will not need to bring in additional documentation regarding past name changes.
  • If you don’t have a valid, unexpired U.S. Passport in your current name, you will need to provide documents to support each change of your name from birth to the present date.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2353

Last modified: June 6, 2013

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.