Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Duplicate driver license, instruction permit or identification (ID) card

A duplicate license, instruction permit or ID card is required when:

  • You change your name - you will need to provide proof of name change.
  • Your license, permit or ID card is lost or stolen and you need a replacement. You will need to provide proof of identity. (Note: If you are a Wisconsin resident who is temporarily out-of-state, you may be eligible to apply for a replacement through the mail.
  • You change your gender - you will need to show proof by court order or physician's report.
  • Your date of birth is listed incorrectly on your card - you will need to provide proof of date of birth to correct the error.
  • You have a commercial driver license (CDL) and your address has changed - you must apply for a duplicate card that lists your current address.
  • You wish to apply for a federally compliant REAL ID driver license or identification card prior to your next renewal.
  • If your driver license, permit or ID card has or is about to expire, you must renew it.

If you meet certain eligibility requirements, you may be able to apply for a duplicate driver license or ID card online. If you need to update your address, do so PRIOR to applying online. A duplicate license or ID card applied for online will be mailed to the current Wisconsin address on file and cannot be forwarded to any other address. Instruction permits and commercial driver licenses (CDL) cannot be applied for online.

Apply at a DMV customer service center

If you are not eligible to apply online, you will need to visit a DMV service center to apply. You will need to:

  • Complete either form MV3001 (Wisconsin Driver License Application) or
  • MV3004 (Wisconsin Identification Card (ID) Application). You may complete the form online, print it and bring it to a DMV service center.
  • Provide proof of identity.
  • Know your social security number. It is recommended that you bring your social security card with you.
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will also need to provide an acceptable document for proof of legal status in the U.S.

You will need to pay the fee for a duplicate license or instruction permit. ID cards used for voting are free. If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and require a Wisconsin ID card to vote, check the ID for FREE box on the application. Otherwise, pay the required ID card duplicate fee.

If you are under 18 years of age and applying for a duplicate driver license or instruction permit, sponsorship by a parent or legal guardian is required. If you are applying for a duplicate instruction permit, you will need to provide a driver education course completion certificate or proof of current enrollment in the behind-the-wheel portion of an approved driver education course.

Can I apply for a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card when I get my duplicate?

Yes, if you do not currently hold a driver license or identification card that is REAL ID compliant, you can apply when getting a duplicate. The Wisconsin DMV is issuing driver licenses and ID cards that meet new federal REAL ID requirements. While all Wisconsin licenses and ID cards will be valid for federal uses for the next few years, at some point, a REAL ID license card will be required for identification at airports and federal buildings.

The cost to apply for a duplicate of your existing license or identification card and get a REAL ID license or ID card will be the same. REAL ID-compliant cards must be applied for in person at a DMV service center.

If you will be applying for a duplicate and want a REAL ID-compliant driver license or ID card, you must provide proof of:

Applications and documents will be electronically scanned and securely stored to meet federal requirements and to detect and deter identity theft and fraud.

Veteran Identifier

Beginning December 1, 2013, your Wisconsin Driver License or ID card may now include a Veteran Identifier if you are registered with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA). For more information or to register with WDVA, visit www.WisVets.com/Plates#V, your county Veterans Service Organization or call 1-800-WIS-VETS.

Driver licenses and ID cards are mailed.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2353

Last modified: November 27, 2013

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.