Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Duplicate driver license, instruction permit or identification (ID) card
You need to obtain a duplicate driver license, instruction permit or ID card when:
- You change your name - you must provide proof of name change.
- Your license, permit or ID card is lost or stolen and you need a replacement. You will need to provide proof of identity. (Note: If you are a Wisconsin resident temporarily out-of-state, you may be eligible to apply for a replacement by mail.)
- You change your gender - you will need to show proof by court order or physician's report.
- Your date of birth is listed incorrectly on your card - you will need to provide proof of date of birth to correct the error.
- You have a commercial driver license (CDL) and your address has changed - you must apply for a duplicate card that lists your current address.
- You wish to apply for a federally compliant REAL ID driver license or identification card before the next renewal.
- If your driver license, permit or ID card expires, or is about to expire, you must renew it.
Apply for a duplicate driver license or ID card online
- If you are a U.S. citizen and meet requirements, you may apply for a duplicate driver license or ID card online.
- If you need to update your address, do so BEFORE you apply online.
- The duplicate license or ID card will be mailed to your current Wisconsin address on file and cannot be forwarded to any other address.
- You cannot apply for a duplicate Instruction Permit or Commercial Driver License (CDL) online.
Apply for a duplicate ID card by mail (for ID cards only)
- If you are a U.S. citizen, you may apply for a duplicate ID card one time by mail. The next time you will need to visit a DMV service center to have your updated photo taken.
- If you need to update your address, do so BEFORE you apply by mail.
- Complete the Wisconsin identification (ID) card application (form MV3004)
- If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election and would like a Wisconsin ID card to vote, please check the ID for FREE box when completing the Wisconsin ID card application. Otherwise, enclose a check or money order payable to "Registration Fee Trust" for the fee and mail your application to:
PO Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707-7995.
Apply at a DMV customer service center
- Complete either
- You may complete either form online, print it and present it at a DMV service center.
- Provide proof of identity.
- Know your social security number. It is recommended that you bring your social security card with you.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, present an acceptable document for proof of legal status in the U.S.
- Pay the fee for a duplicate driver license, instruction permit or ID card. Note: ID cards used for voting are free. If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and require a Wisconsin ID card to vote, check the ID for FREE box on the application.
If you are under 18 years of age and applying for a duplicate driver license or instruction permit, sponsorship by a parent or legal guardian is required. If you are applying for a duplicate instruction permit, you will need to provide a driver education course completion certificate or proof of current enrollment in the behind-the-wheel portion of an approved driver education course.
Can I apply for a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card when I get my duplicate?
Yes, if you do not currently hold a driver license or identification card that is REAL ID-compliant, you can apply when getting a duplicate at a DMV service center. The Wisconsin DMV is issuing driver licenses and ID cards that meet federal REAL ID requirements. While all Wisconsin licenses and ID cards will be valid for federal uses for the next few years, at some point, a REAL ID license card will be required for identification at airports and federal buildings.
The cost to apply for a duplicate of your existing license or identification card and get a REAL ID license or ID card will be the same. REAL ID-compliant cards must be applied for in person at a DMV service center.
If you apply for a duplicate and want a REAL ID-compliant driver license or ID card, you must provide proof of:
- Name, date of birth
- Citizenship or legal status in the U.S.
- Social Security Number
- Wisconsin residency (where you live)
- Name change (if applicable)
Applications and documents will be electronically scanned and securely stored to meet federal requirements and to detect and deter identity theft and fraud.
Your Wisconsin Driver License or ID card can include a Veteran Identifier if you are registered with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA). For more information or to register with WDVA, visit www.WisVets.com/Plates#V, your county Veterans Service Organization or call 1-800-WIS-VETS.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2353
Last modified: October 7, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.