Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Change of address

Driver record - Class D or M driver license

You should notify WisDOT of your change of address within 10 days of your move.

If you hold a Wisconsin identification card (ID) or regular driver license, you may change your address by doing one of the following:

  • Call (608) 266-2353 and request that your driver record address be changed.
  • Mail your change of address to:
    Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
    Division of Motor Vehicles
    P.O. Box 7917
    Madison, WI 53707-7917
  • Change your address online
  • Because of privacy concerns, DMV does not recommend emailing your change of address. However, if you wish, you can email the information to the Bureau of Driver Services.

Include your ID or driver license number.

When you change your address, you will not receive a new driver license unless you apply for a duplicate license online or visit a DMV Service Center.

Driver record - Commercial Driver License (CDL)

If you hold a Commercial Driver License (CDL), you will need to visit a DMV service center to have your address changed. You will need to show your Social Security card and pay the fee. A replacement driver license will be issued to you.

Vehicle record

When you move, file a change of address with your post office. Your license plate renewal notice will be mailed to your most recent address on file with the United States Postal Service.

Six times per year, WisDOT obtains updated addresses from the U.S. Postal Service database. If the name and address on our registration database matches the name and "old" address on the Postal Service database, we update our vehicle records with the "new" address.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service

Last modified: March 31, 2011

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.