Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Economic development - Motor carrier assistance

trucks at a warehouse

WisDOT's Motor Carrier Services Section (MCSS) regulates interstate trucking and permits for oversize/overweight vehicles. The specific credentials created and maintained by MCSS are:

  • Registration of heavy vehicles in interstate operation, known as IRP - International Registration Plan.
  • Collection and disbursement of fuel tax for heavy vehicles in interstate operation, known as the IFTA - International Fuel Tax Agreement.
  • Motor carrier authority, the fundamental credential authorizing operation as a for-hire motor carrier.
  • Notification to carriers to file Uniform Carrier Registration (UCR). The UCR Program requires all individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business under the UCR program and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.
  • Oversize/overweight vehicle permits.

Motor carrier permits and economic development

This program supports economic development because it operates from a fundamental philosophy that fulfillment of regulatory responsibility does not imply or require an adversary relationship. The realization of this philosophy has been best expressed by substantial commitment of resources to technology development.

For program information, contact Kathleen Nichols, Motor Carrier Authority, (608) 261-2574.

Questions about the content of this page:
Jesse Patchak, jesse.patchak@dot.wi.gov 
Last modified: May 6, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.