Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Are you a veteran? You may qualify for a fee waiver for an initial license. Find out more!
If you are employed by a licensed dealer or wholesaler, you may apply for a buyer’s license. The buyer’s license allows you to bid on and purchase vehicles at wholesale motor vehicle auctions or dealerships. In order to buy vehicles for more than one employer, you must have a separate buyer's license for each employer. To do this you must submit a separate application signed by each employer. Employees of dealers or wholesalers that are licensed out of state may qualify for a buyer’s license.
To qualify for a buyer’s license, you must be at least 18 years old and you cannot have been convicted of a crime directly related to the sale of motor vehicles.
Licensed buyers can only buy vehicles on behalf of their employer(s). They cannot use the buyer’s license to buy vehicles for their own or other’s use.
Buyer’s licenses expire on the same date as the employer’s dealer or wholesaler license. Buyer’s licenses for out-of-state buyers expire on the second July 31st after they are issued. The fee for a buyer’s license expiring in one year or less is $6. The fee for a buyer’s license expiring in more than a year is $12.
To apply for a new, renewal or replacement buyer’s license:
- Complete, print and sign the Buyer’s License Application MV2941. Instructions for completing the form are included at the bottom of the form.
- Have your employing dealer or wholesaler sign the form.
- If you will be bidding on vehicles for more than one employer, you must submit a separate, signed application for each employer.
- If the employer is an out-of-state business, include a copy of the dealer or wholesaler license or other credential authorizing the business to operate in that state or jurisdiction. If the license is not in English, attach an English translation.
NOTE: All licenses are mailed to the dealer license credential address only. No faxes, emails or photocopies will be sent in lieu of the actual license.
For more information or to request to have application materials mailed to you:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: (608) 266-1425
- FAX: (608) 267-0323
- Write to the address below:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Dealer & Agent Section
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 201
P.O. Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909
Questions about the content of this page:
Division of Motor Vehicles, Dealer Section, email@example.com
Last modified: January 29, 2015
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.