Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Unified carrier registration (UCR)

Wisconsin Motor Carriers mails out registration forms for UCR each year. We do not email this information. The official web site for filling Wisconsin UCR is www.ucr.in.gov. Use of any other site to file UCR may incur charges above and beyond the UCR fees.

UCR filings may also be mailed to us at P.O. Box 7955, Madison WI 53707-7955 or 4802 Sheboygan Ave. Room 151, Madison WI 53705.

For all interstate motor carriers, motor private carriers, freight forwarders, brokers and leasing companies

Most trucking company businesses must annually register their business and pay the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) fee.

Which businesses

UCR applies to businesses that:

  • operate a truck, truck tractor, or bus in interstate or international commerce, or
  • make arrangements for the transportation of cargo and goods

Companies operating solely as brokers, freight forwarders or leasing companies are required to register and pay a fee of $76. Companies providing motor carrier services in addition to broker, freight forwarder or leasing services are required to pay the fee level set at the motor carrier level shown in the table below.

Motor carriers operating only as private motor carriers of passengers are not required to register and pay fees under UCR.

Which vehicles

For the fee table below, count only commercial motor vehicles that are power units, and that operate in interstate or international commerce.

  1. Commercial motor vehicles: A "commercial motor vehicle" is a self-propelled vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:
    • has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
    • is designed to transport 10 or more passengers (including the driver); or
    • is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.
  2. Power units only: Count only power units trucks, truck tractors and buses. Do not count trailers.
  3. Interstate or international vehicles only: Count only vehicles operated interstate or internationally. Exclude intrastate vehicles from your count.


UCR fees are:

  1. Broker, freight forwarder or leasing company not operating as a motor carrier: $76
  2. Motor carriers; and a broker, freight forwarder or leasing company also operating as a motor carrier see table:

Fleet size   Fee per company
From To  
0 2 $76
3 5 $227
6 20 $452
21 100 $1,576
101 1,000 $7,511
1,001 or more $73,346

Example: A motor carrier operating four tractors and nine straight trucks interstate or internationally has a fleet size of thirteen commercial motor vehicles and pays $452.

Note:  Motor carriers operating only as private motor carriers of passengers are not required to register and pay fees under UCR.


Pay your fees for Wisconsin through the web site maintained by the State of Indiana, www.ucr.in.gov. You may make online payment using MasterCard, Visa or e-Check. Most local libraries offer free Internet access and there is also a computer available for motor carriers for this purpose at the Motor Carrier Services Section office at the Hill Farms office at 4802 Sheboygan Avenue room 151 in Madison, WI.

We encourage you to register now at the UCR national web site - also available from your smart phone. If you do not register before January 1, 2014, you may be cited by law enforcement. Important notice: If you operated in 2012 or 2013 and did not register for UCR, you must pay 2012, 2013 and 2014 UCR fees to avoid possible enforcement actions.

Registration by agents

Agents may contact you to perform UCR registration on your behalf. Note that agents may charge you a substantial service fee. WisDOT does not call and ask you for your credit card number.

Wisconsin DOT Motor Carriers oversize-overweight permit Twitter updates Follow us on Twitter!

For further information, please visit the UCR national web site. You may also contact the Wisconsin Department of Transportation at (608) 266-9900.

Questions about the content of this page:
Motor Carrier Services, irp-ifta@dot.wi.gov
Last modified: October 22, 2013

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.