Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Initial duties of the State Highway Commission
100th anniversary of State Highway Commission
- Authority over all matters pertaining to the expenditure of the state highway fund in improving public highways and bridges.
- Employ, remove and fix salaries of engineers, experts, clerks and other temporary employees.
- Assist and advise towns, villages and counties in the construction and maintenance of any highway or bridge.
- Make suitable regulations for the adequate surveying, planning, constructing, maintaining and inspection of highways and bridges.
- Conduct investigations, experiments, hold public meetings, and attend meetings or conventions in or outside the state.
- Receive any gifts, appropriations and bequests made to the state for road purposes.
- Apportion the state highway fund among counties.
- Review prospective state highways selected by county boards, alter as necessary to help form continuous and direct routes.
- When requested by a county board, supervise construction and maintenance of state aid highways and bridges.
- Furnish lists of competent men experienced in road building to any county desiring to elect a county highway commissioner.
- Authority to enter private lands for making surveys or inspections.
- Prepare a biennial report of activities to the Governor and Legislature.
Questions about the content of this page:
Contact: Office of Public Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: April 12, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.