Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Creation of State Highway Commission
100th anniversary of State Highway Commission
The year 2011 marks the 100-year anniversary of an official state transportation agency in Wisconsin. The 1911 Wisconsin Legislature created a State Highway Commission to oversee statewide roadway planning and construction activities. But several key transportation developments in Wisconsin occurred several years earlier.
In the early 1900s, public interest in motor vehicles and better roadways was growing in Wisconsin and across the nation. Many states began implementing systems where state governments provide financial assistance to local municipalities to complete roadway improvements, with the understanding the state would have a role in overseeing highway planning and construction efforts.
Before the state of Wisconsin could provide financial assistance for its fledgling highway system, the state’s constitution would need to be changed. Wisconsin’s constitution initially prohibited the state from “constructing, or aiding in the construction of internal improvements.” A joint resolution introduced in the Wisconsin Legislature in 1905 provided “the state may appropriate money in the treasury or to be raised thereafter by taxation for the construction and improvement of public highways.” Following approval in two consecutive legislative sessions, Wisconsin voters in 1908 approved the constitutional amendment by a vote of 116,407 to 46,762.
The constitutional change “paved the way” for the 1911 legislation that funded highway improvements as a cooperative effort between state and local governments. On June 14, 1911, Wisconsin Governor Francis McGovern signed what would become Chapter 337 of the 1911 Wisconsin Session Laws establishing a five-member, part-time State Highway Commission to oversee the $350,000 annual allocation for statewide highway improvement efforts. One of the Commission’s first actions was to organize a state highway department – the precursor to today’s Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Among the Commission’s duties was to review prospective state highways identified by counties and alter them as necessary to form continuous routes, and establish suitable regulations for the construction and inspection of highways and bridges.
Commission members met for the first time on July 17, 1911 and included: John Van Doren of Birnamwood; John Owen of Eau Claire; John Hazelwood of Jefferson (elected chairman); and two ex-officio members: State Geologist, William Hotchkiss of Madison; and Dean of the College of Engineering, Frederick Turneaure.
In 1912, the Commission established the “Wisconsin Road School.” Typically held in Madison in January of each year, the school brought together county highway commissioners, municipal officials, road contractors, machinery manufacturers and others with the goal of identifying best practices in highway construction and maintenance.
Between 1911 and 1917, various Wisconsin trails began to be marked as roads. The first such trail to be marked in Wisconsin was the lake to river road from Milwaukee to Madison, to Prairie du Chien and La Crosse. Passage of the Federal Road Aid Law in 1916, combined with the increasing popularity of motor vehicles, accelerated the growth and interest in the state highway system. In 1917, the Legislature directed the Commission to establish a State Trunk Highway System to not exceed 5,000 miles, and to erect uniform guide and warning signs.
A State Highway Fund established in 1925 included a two-cent-per-gallon motor vehicle fuel tax. For the state fiscal year ending June 30, 1926, Wisconsin transportation revenues totaled $15.2 million ($4.9 million in fuel tax, $8.4 million in vehicle registration fees, and $1.9 million in federal aid).
In 1929, the Wisconsin Legislature abolished the original, part-time five-member State Highway Commission in favor of a full-time, three-member Commission. While the Commission’s role remained much the same, its responsibilities continued to grow. When the Commission was first created in 1911, it had only nine permanent employees. This grew to 125 in 1920, 375 in 1930, and about 500 permanent employees in 1940.
During the Depression years of the 1930s, many roads were built as part of new deal public works projects. By the mid-1940s, Wisconsin’s state highway system had grown to about 12,000 miles. The 1950s witnessed the beginning of the Interstate highway era, and in 1967, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) was created by merging the former Aeronautics Commission, Department of Motor Vehicles, and Highways.
Today, WisDOT oversees a comprehensive transportation system that includes about 12,000 miles of numbered state, federal and Interstate highways, about 14,000 state bridges, 76 public bus and shared-ride taxi systems, 132 public use airports, 20 commercial ports, 3,600 miles of railway track, along with bicycle and pedestrian accommodations.
The past century has witnessed many changes in transportation including major improvements in how motor vehicles and pavements are designed and built. Yet several core transportation concepts remain the same. WisDOT continues to work closely with public and private partners to help plan, construct and maintain a comprehensive transportation network as part of efforts to support economic growth by moving people and commerce safely and efficiently.
Questions about the content of this page:
Contact: Office of Public Affairs, email@example.com
Last modified: May 23, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.